Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A GOOD REMINDER!

A Pastor friend of mine died suddenly Saturday as he was raking leaves. It appears he went from raking to the presence of the Lord. Today we had the funeral and I was struck during the service to consider some things. First what is the legacy that I will leave behind? This brother was used of God and He bore much fruit through him. It was noteworthy to see how simply doing the little things, like picking up and putting away the trash at church, was used of God to make a difference in peoples lives. I pray that I can be that servant. To leave behind the legacy of a servant who is not above washing feet. Then it struck me of the privilege it is to preach and teach Gods Word. This brother was a preacher who was unashamed of the gospel and saw it a privilege to herald the good news. I want to be sure to never take the privilege God has given me of preaching and teaching His Word, for granted.

Then of course I considered my family, as his grieved well today. I want to live in such a way that my children will one day be able to share that in some way their dad showed them Christ. I want to have a loving wife and three great children who love the Lord pressing on for the glory of God, even in my absence. Today was a great day to remember some things that can easily be overlooked in the busyness of leading His Church. Brothers, take some time to step back and consider the legacy you will leave behind. Take a fresh look at the blessing it is that He would call you to bring His Word to His people. And love your family, as they are a gift from God to you. Live well men, press forward for the Kingdom, as you do not know which day will be the one that He calls you home!

For His Glory,
Tom Crouse

No comments: