Thursday, December 4, 2008

PREACHING DURING CHRISTMAS TIME!

When this time of year comes around, there is an expectation in many churches to hear sermons driven by the season. Christmas or Advent sermons. It was in my 5th or 6th year as a Pastor when I told my church that I was out of Christmas sermons. From that time on I would each year at Christmas time simply continue to preach verse by verse through the book I happened to be in, and an amazing thing happened, no one complained! It was a blessing to know that my church cared more about the Word of God being faithfully and accurately proclaimed than they did about it fitting the season.

There is nothing wrong and many things right about preaching to the season. There are many great opportunities, one for me being a Christmas eve service to preach the gospel to unbelievers. But we also do not want to feel tied to the calendar. As there becomes more and more holidays, if a preacher is not careful, they will be continualy preaching about some holiday. So brothers, preach the Christmas sermons with all of your might, but please be more concerned with getting the text right and becoming faithful expositors of the Word. Your church will thank you for it, regardless of the time of the year!

For His Glory,
Tom Crouse

No comments: